Tuesday, October 10, 2006

My First Succoth and Other Jewish Holidays




It is going to be a long week for us guys here at Jaffa Israel, as it is a non-working week at the embassy because of the Jewish Holiday Succoth (Jewish Harvest Festival).

September and October apparently are Israel’s months of Jewish holidays, starting with the Rosh Hashanah or Jewish New Year. The embassy distributed baskets of chocolates, wine and cookies to Israel’s various government ministries in celebration of the holiday.

Last week I was caught unaware that Yom Kippur (Jewish Day of Atonement) would mean no cars and autobus on the streets. The children here at Jaffa became temporary kings of the road and had a field day roaming everywhere – riding their bikes, trolleys and scooters and owning the streets as their own. Still, it was an unusually quiet Jaffa during the Yom Kippur. See few pictures posted here.

And now with Succoth being celebrated this week, I have all the time to pound on my computer keyboard and do some postings on my blogs. But then again, we might finally go to Quesaria (hopefully!) and visit the archaeological excavations that I have long wanted to see.

No comments: