Thursday, April 12, 2007

St. Peter's or Gallicantu, Jerusalem Israel

Church of Saint Peter Gallicantu, Jerusalem Israel

Interior of the Church

Intricately-designed stain glass

Dome of the Rock from Galiccantu

Our latest trip to Jerusalem here in Israel brought us to the Church of Saint Peter in Gallicantu. The Latin word “gallicantu” actually means “crow of the cock”, and is the name used to call the place to recall Peter’s sin against Jesus. The location of the Church is where Jesus was arrested and denied by Peter three times.

Evidently, the Church of Saint Peter, compared to other structures of worship, is modern in style, with a sprinkling of old art. Judging from what I saw, the overall appearance of the Church, despite being a bit dazzling, exudes pleasant simplicity, making it really conducive to Christian worship.

You would actually know if you are already in Gallicantu when you see the representations of a cock all over the place. The Church of Saint Peter is one of the most uniquely-built churches I have visited so far in Israel.

4 comments:

Alex said...

Hi

Please consider writing news pieces or an op-ed for Jewrusalem: Israeli Uncensored News. We strive to present different views and opinions while rejecting political correctness. Ideally, we try to make the news "smart and funny." Thus, your input is very welcome.

Best,
Alex
www.jewrusalem.net/en

Ernest-jr said...

Thanks for the invitation Alex. Will do so one of these days..ernesto

Rainbow River said...

What about Focal Magazine?

http://www.focalmagazine.com/index.php/index

Anne said...

Earnest, thank you, thank you for your glorious photo of the Gallicantu's stained glass ceiling shot. I'm immersed in the project of identifying the 200 photos I took in Israel in '76 as well as in '80 and one of my '80 slides is of that lovely ceiling. I made the mistake of not labeling each slide immediately upon return and now I'm poring through stacks of books hoping to find published pictures of the buildings, terrain, windows, etc on my own slides. I didn't know if that stained glass window was in the Holy Sepulchre or some church we visited in Rome. Being young I probably thought I'd always remember. Googling "stained glass windows in Israel" led nowhere. Tonight I decided to Google Gallicantu Church on the slim chance it would give me an ID on one of my slides and there was your beautiful photo!! I'm thrilled to discover someone was nice enough to post his photograph of the ceiling for me!! You managed to squeeze the entire "window" into your photo, while mine is clipped a little... so in addition to helping make a positive ID I can also see the full window. Sorry if I've gone on too much, but this particular Christian stained glass "window" has captured my imagination more than any I've ever seen. Do you know what Israeli organization I might send a few of the photographs I haven't been able to identify yet? Thank you! Sincerely, Anne in Fresno, California