Sunday, January 13, 2008

Revisiting Mea Shearim



Visiting Jerusalem's Mea Shearim fascinates me - being in the place always gives me the feel that I am in another world of centuries ago. I somewhat sense the feeling of not being welcomed, even resented whenever I am there in the area. Perhaps this is how the ultra religious really are to the outsiders, especially those who are obviously tourists just curious on what really makes of this puzzling, if not intriguing place of Israel. In my opinion, if the residents of Mea Shearim had the reputation of being "unfriendly" to the outsiders, their tradition and way of life dictate it and this is understable. They have their rules (like what is written in the yellow poster in the picture above) and people wanting to enter Mea Shearim have to abide by it.

No comments: