Wednesday, February 09, 2011

My Long Walk to Shuk HaCarmel

Fridays are market day.

Market for many Filipinos in Tel Aviv, Israel is the Shuk HaCarmel. The biggest market in Tel Aviv, one can go to the Carmel Market from Jaffa by taking the Autobus number 25 or 125 at Sderot Yerushalayim.

You have to get off the autobus at the bus stop along Allenby, which I mistaken over and over to be Rothschild Tel Aviv when I was new still. You know that you're already in Carmel when you get to that part of Allenby Street where it meets King George Street.


It is the best (not necessarily the cheapest) place to go to as everything that I need can be had at the Carmel. Fruits, vegetables, spices, meat, white shirts, mozzarella cheese.

There is a Filipino/Asian Store in the middle of the market where I used to buy my canned pineapple juice and spicy crackers.

One December Friday morning, I decided to take the long road, literally – by walking my way from Jaffa to Shuk HaCarmel.

I thought of the benefits that I would get from walking the length – two pounds lighter and cool breeze from the sea. And oh, a hungrier stomach and hence, more eager to indulge in a good Shawarma sandwich.

So off I went.

My long walk started at ice cream parlor Victory at the corner of Yefet and Yehuda Margoza Streets. I crossed Yefet and entered Margoza, a winding street the end of which leads to the port.

Along the street is the back of the Andromeda apartments, a popular residence for expats and diplomats. A few officers from the embassy have stayed at the Andromeda.

Going further, l reached the entrance to the port.

Immediately after the entrance is the huge unfinished building to the right; it is obviously intended as an enclosed fish and sea food market.


I passed by the building and turned to my right, walked just a little farther to the street and out into the concrete promenade along the Tel Aviv Beach fronting the Mediterranean Sea.

This is probably the best part, being able to walk along the beach and enjoy the sea.

The beach was still deserted. What do you expect? It was 7:00 AM. I did see at least two surfers braving the waves, which for sure was freezing cold as ice.

The beach nearest the port are three bars / restaurants one after the other. Still close, of course.

As I walked further, I passed by the IDF building / museum; then the small short bridge; and finally the front of the Textile Building and World Trade Center.

I found myself at Charles Clore Park, which is more or less situated in the middle of Jaffa and Tel Aviv.

I could have crossed Kaufmann already at this point and continued down along the inner parallel street at the side of the world Trade center.

But I decided to walk my way still along the beach, until finally I got in the front the Dan Panorama Tel Aviv building.

Here is where I crossed the Kaufmann.

Two or three more blocks was the huge bus station, and then at last - I reached Shuk Ha’Carmel.

The walk was 30 minutes – more or less.

Not so bad after all. It was a cold morning so I didn’t break a sweat.

Two pounds lighter? I have to check with my weighing scale later.


My legs were a little aching. And I was hungry for my breakfast. With the state I was in, a shawarma and cold water was certainly in order.

But wait, half of me ached for Frank’s chicken, a craving that quickly vanished when I realized the joint would not be open until before lunchtime.

I was definitely stuck with shawarma. But I decided that I buy everything that I need first before I eat.

With aching legs and feet, I went from store to store – blending with others and trying to haggle for the best buys.

It was a bustling market crowd along the narrow street of HaCarmel on a Friday morning in Tel Aviv.

3 comments:

Joe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sheena said...

This is a better-quality article as they all are. I make fun of been wonder wide this an eye to some beat now. Its great to receive this info. You are fair and balanced.

Chevrolet W5 Turbocharger

Jose Rivolta said...

hemos adjuntado un tracback fabulas cortas de terror hacia estos articulos
hemos adjuntado un tracback juegos de vestir bebes a la moda en paris hacia estos articulos
hemos adjuntado un tracback fábulas cortas en español gratis hacia estos articulos
hemos adjuntado un tracback cine indones de películas cortas hacia estos articulos
hemos adjuntado un tracback descarga de series cortas en HD hacia estos articulos
hemos adjuntado un tracback mirar cortometrajes online en español gratis hacia estos articulos
hemos adjuntado un tracback resetas fáciles con pollo hacia estos articulos
hemos adjuntado un tracback videntes famosos y sus clarividencias hacia estos articulos
hemos adjuntado un tracback transmision en colombia de tv hacia estos articulos
hemos adjuntado un tracback frases célebres de personas famosas hacia estos articulos
hemos adjuntado un tracback www.unpuntomusical.com hacia estos articulos
hemos adjuntado un tracback préstamos de dólares hacia estos articulos
hemos adjuntado un tracback www.descargarwechat.org hacia estos articulos
hemos adjuntado un tracback www.linedescargar.com hacia estos articulos
hemos adjuntado un tracback www.mildietasparaadelgazar.com hacia estos articulos